What if we told you that there was a way to have pancakes for breakfast and get a boost of antioxidants the same time (a.k.a. have your cake and eat it too…)?
We bet you’d think there’s no way. That is, until you found out that there is actually a healthy option out there that packs in gluten-free whole grain nutrition filled with powerful antioxidants all at once. Drum roll: pinole!
With the ancient purple maize as its cornerstone ingredient, any flavor in the Purely Pinole line sports a whopping amount of free radical-fighting antioxidants. Plus, you’re getting tons of protein and fiber for a breakfast you don’t have to feel guilty about.
So, why not give your traditional weekend brunch a twist with this delicious new recipe?
- 1 cup Original Pinole
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 small banana
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 salt
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- maple syrup to taste
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Add the old-fashioned oats and chia seeds to the food processor and bend on high for 1 minute until finely ground.
- Break up the small banana into a few pieces and add to the food processor. Add Original Pinole, baking soda, warm water, and salt.
- Blend everything together until very smooth. Let mixture stand for about 10 minutes to thicken.
- Heat coconut oil in a skillet over a medium heat and drop around 3 to 4 tablespoons of the mixture into the pan for each pancake.
- Cook until the pancakes fluff up, flipping on each side for around 5 minutes.
- Stack cooled pancakes onto a plate and top with greek yogurt and blueberries, drizzling maple syrup on top. Serve and enjoy!