By now you can probably tell: here at Native State Foods, we care about your health and happiness. That’s why we design recipes powered by ancient-inspired ingredients (like pinole) in a fun, flavor-filled way. It’s our philosophy that eating food that’s good for you should also taste great.
Thankfully, with pinole – a functional powerhouse – we get to play in a nutritional playground. Pinole dates back to the Aztecs and is made by roasting and stone-milling corn with cacao & cinnamon. Here at Native State Food however, we use a rare heirloom purple maize that has nearly 4 times the amount of antioxidants as blueberries as well as 30% more fiber & protein than today’s modern day corn.
By using Purely Pinole in any of our delicious recipes, you can get more out of every bite and have fun too!
Here, we’ve chosen to use it as a way to healthify a fun snack fave: doritos.
Bonus–our version is also vegan and gluten-free! Plus, we give you that creamy cheesy flavor you love through one of our new favorite ingredients: nutritional yeast.
Here’s a short bio: Nutritional yeast is a great pantry staple as it’s an inactive yeast made from sugarcane and beet molasses. A white to yellow powder, it adds a savory, cheesy flavor to foods while packing in important vitamins and minerals. Plus, it can also deliver antiviral and antimicrobial properties. And, it’s great for vegans, providing a plentiful source of vitamin B12 while helping to boost immunity.
So grab a bag of our Purely Pinole Original (buy here), a little nutritional yeast, and check out this recipe below! It’s yummy, fun food that satisfies your cravings without the guilt.
Yield: 60 crisps
Total time: about 45 min
Prep time: 30 min
Bake time: 15-20 min
- 1 cup Original Purely Pinole
- ½ cup almond meal (or other gluten-free oat flour)
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3.5 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 3.5 tablespoons cold water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line 1 large or 2 small baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix together dry ingredients and whisk until thoroughly to combine. Add oil and fork until crumbly.
- Add a tablespoon of cold water one at a time, stirring until it forms a semi-sticky dough that’s moldable with your hands and not crumbly.
- Remove from bowl and form into a loose ball with your hands. Transfer to a clean surface lined with wax or parchment paper and lay another sheet of parchment paper or wax paper on top. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out into a rectangle slightly less than 1/8th inch thick.
- Use a knife, a pizza cutter, or a small cookie cutter to cut the dough into small squares– or whatever shape you prefer.
- Place in oven and bake for around 15-20 min. Once finished, set aside and cool. Enjoy with some cheese or hummus for a healthy, vegan snack!
For this recipe we recommend:
Purely Pinole Original