Banana nut anything is pretty much a classic for your go-to breakfast: muffins, waffles, and other yummy recipes. The problem: muffins, waffles, and “other” recipes tend not to be the best for your health or waistline. With added sugars and nutritionally-deficient flours, many of these recipes can do quite a bit of damage.
No reason to fret! We have cooked up a fun and healthy alternative to this classic indulgence.
By replacing the numerous– and not to mention, tragically boring– brown flours with our trifecta of fiber, protein, and antioxidant-filled nutrition in our Blueberry + Banana Purely Pinole mix, you get to have it all in one! Not only that, but pinole already has cinnamon and cacao, so you’re all set on flavorings too.
We believe that you can always find a way to enjoy your favorite foods without compromising flavor and tradition. So whip up a batch of these bars and know that we’ve got you covered!
Total time: 30-35 min
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 15-20 min
Yield: 25-30 medium-sized bars
- 1 cup cooked Blueberry + Banana Pinole Mix
- 1 medium banana (ripe)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons almond or cashew butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1/3 cup dates
- Little bit of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a cooking tray, lined with parchment paper for easy clean up.
- Cook pinole according to directions on bag: add 1 to 1-½ cups of your milk of choice to ½ cup dry pinole mix and cook on stovetop for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently until pinole thickens to a hot cereal consistency.
- Grab a small mixing bowl that can go in the microwave. Chop dates and banana in quarters and add nut butter, vanilla extract, and agave nectar. Stick in the microwave for about 30 seconds to 1 minute and blend ingredients thoroughly to form a paste-like texture.
- Add cooked pinole and dry ingredients (cinnamon, cashews, salt) to the previous mixture and mix together.
- Spread mixture on a baking tray so it’s somewhere between 1/4-1/2 inch in height and about 3-by-6 inches in length and width on parchment-lined cooking tray. Stick in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.
- Let cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting into bars (2 inches long and 1 inch wide). Either stash away or enjoy!